- funding probability score
- total disclosed funding
- last round valuation estimate
- disclosed funding rounds
- latest round
- latest funding stage
- next round estimate
- development stage
- number of investors
- number of competitors
- monthly web visits
- twitter followers
- Founded in 2014 by experienced industry leaders and scientists from University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) and Cornell University, Akoustis’ mission is to commercialize and manufacture its patent-pending Bulk ONE™ acoustic wave technology to address the critical frequency-selectivity requirements in today’s mobile smartphones – improving the efficiency and signal quality of Mobile Wireless devices and enabling The Internet of Things.
The Bulk Acoustic Wave (BAW) filter market is rapidly expanding, driven by growth in 4G/LTE and the number of filters required per device. Nearly 2 billion mobile phones are manufactured per year, and over half are in the growing segment of high-end smartphones. Because these smartphones need to operate globally, on more than one carrier, and with bands that are becoming ever-closer together, the need for higher-performance filters is upon us to ensure mobile compatibility. 4G/LTE networks are driving the need for higher frequencies, and traditional SAW filters simply cannot provide the necessary coverage and performance, as evidenced by the growing mix of BAW filters in the mobile phone.
Acoustic wave filters have evolved as the key differentiator in the RF wireless frontend, as nearly half of the RF power generated by the PA is subsequently dissipated as heat in the filter. As a result, the power amplifier must be over-designed (by as much as 2x) to accommodate for this filter loss, increasing the cost of the frontend, negatively impacting the frontend thermal management, and ultimately, reducing battery life. Furthermore, such frontend losses contribute to human-tissue heating when the mobile device is held against the head or attached to the body (in the case of wearable RF devices).
Akoustis™ addresses this critical mobile-wireless need by using single crystal piezoelectric materials to create a new class of acoustic wave filters – improving performance, lowering cost and driving miniaturization. Akoustis’ Bulk ONE™ filters originate from materials which exhibit 30% better acoustic performance when compared to the incumbent thin-film technologies deployed today.
There is much more to this profile.
Log in or sign up for free to see the whole thing.
Get free access to these powerful tools:
- Advanced search filters
- Full startup and investor profiles
- Follow startups and investors
- Custom follow-lists
- Startup benchmarking
- Network maps
- Market stats